Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Franklin's BBQ- Austin, TX

PRE-WARNING- Come at least an hour - 2 hours before opening at 11. I got there at 10 and still didn't get my food until 1:00. And this was on their slowest day, Wednesday. The line actually went by faster than expected. There's a guy renting chairs with attached umbrellas for $5.00, and I also bought a fan at the CVS across the street(a must on a 100 degree day). 
     Once at the counter, I ordered the one meat plate with brisket(you can ask for half fatty, half lean) and two links of sausage. You get the choice if a side with the plate, so I got the pinto beans. From my first  bite of the lean brisket, I knew it was the best. This is the first BBQ brisket I've ever had that melts in your mouth. It's crust(burnt part) was so sweet, and flavorful, that you definitely do not need sauce; but if you want to they have three different sauces. The first l tried was their famous expresso sauce. It had just a slight expresso taste, and wasn't as sweet as the others. The second was the Texas-Style sauce, which was thicker and sweeter. The third, and my personal favorite, was the Sweet Vinegar sauce. The sausage was excellent also, but very fatty(similar to Black's in Lockhart). The pinto beans had some of the leftover brisket in it, making it the best BBQ beans I've ever had. Not only was Franklin's the greatest barbecue joint in the United States that I've been too, it was also a great experience. What other place do you get to wait in line for 3 hours with 200-300 other people! Overall I believe that the brisket was more that worth the wait, and I would wait in line again any day for barbecue like Franklin's. It gets *****
The Sauces: L to R, Texas, Sweet Vinegar, Expresso



No comments:

Post a Comment